Recipe by English_Rose
For a tasty first course try this colourful version of a classic Spanish tapas dish, flavoured here with basil.
- 16 new potatoes, freshly boiled, drained and sprinkled with mint
- 4 slices bacon, diced and fried until crisp
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 7 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add in the onions and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper and basil.
- Bring to the simmer, reduce the heat and cook gently for 6-7 minutes.
- Cool slightly then blend using a hand or jug blender.
- Place the minted new potatoes in a serving bowl, coat with a little of the tomato sauce (reserving the remainder for future use) and scatter with the crispy bacon and basil leaves. Serve.