These are a delicious snack I enjoyed while spending a semester in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. One of my profesores there taught me to make these. They go really well with frijoles molidos (refried beans, basically). Plantains can be purchased at most grocery store in the produce section...they look like bananas, but DO NOT try to eat them like bananas - they are NOT the same thing! Get the nice and green ones for this purpose. --Times are approximate--
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel plantains completely.
- 2Slice Plantains into 1/2 inch rounds.
- 3Heat oil in sauce pan until almost boiling.
- 4CAREFULLY place a handful of plantain rounds into hot oil, leaving them in until light brown, about 2 minutes.
- 5CAREFULLY remove plantain rounds from hot oil with slotted spoon (preferably metal) and place on a cutting board covered in parchment paper.
- 6Plantain pieces should be on only half of the parchment paper. Fold second half of parchment paper over them, and with a second board or other hard, flat surface press firmly on the paper-covered plantain rounds.
- 7The rounds should now be smushed-looking, yet still intact.
- 8*This can also be done using a metal tortilla press, if available. What I use is like a tortilla press, but is specifically designed for patacones, and I bought it at a supermarket in Costa Rica.
- 9With slotted spoon, replace pieces of plantain in the oil until golden brown.
- 10Remove pieces with slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Pieces should be slightly crispy.
- 11Repeat with another handful of rounds, until all have been cooked.
- 12Sprinkle with salt, to taste.
- 13Dip in warm refried beans, or also good with ceviche.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patacones Ticos (Costa Rican Fried Plantains)
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.9
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 42.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g