Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This goes with Cornish Miners' Pasties and makes the most outstanding pastry crust ever! Lard is the preferred "shortening" and closest to the "original" recipe. But regular shortening will work, too. Although butter would make it very rich, I've NEVER used butter in this. The crust is very light and flakey--but sturdy enough to hold the pasty ingredients; turns a beautiful golden-brown when brushed with milk prior to baking. This recipe can also be used for quiches (weighted down with beans) and pies.
- Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water a little at a time, tossing with a fork to make a pastry-like dough.
- Add a bit more water if it seems dry and won't hold together when squeezed lightly.
- Gather into a ball, press firmly now, then wrap with plastic wrap and chill while preparing the pasty ingredients (see Recipe # ).
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface (or on top of a piece of plastic wrap which can easily be folded over and then peeled off once the pasty ingredients are loaded).
- Edges of pasty should be brushed with a smidgen of water and then crimped VERY firmly with a fork (and I fold them and crimp again -- so none of the liquid seeps out).
- Brush tops of finished pasties with milk to enhance the crust (it will bake to a beautiful golden brown).
- NOTE: Like pastry dough, pasty dough should be handled as LITTLE as possible to ensure flakiness. So, *handle with care* !
Very easy, and very flaky and tasty! I used Crisco. I rolled out the "pastries" between two pieces of wax paper (as opposed to plastic wrap). I used this recipe with the Cornish Pastries recipe that you posted (Cornish Miners' Pasties).
This recipe also works well with butter (although it's flakier with the Crisco). I also used this recipe to make a crust for a chicken pot pie! I also love how easy it is to handle! This is my go-to recipe for a savory pastry crust! Thank you!
Wow! Thank you for such a great, easy to prepare pastry recipe! I went healthy with this and used whole wheat flour and Smart Balance butter (made with EVOO) - turned out great!!
Debber, this is THE MOST OUTSTANDING pastry crust ever! DH couldn't stop raving about it.. I made it for your Cornish Miners' Pasties. I used butter instead of lard or shortening and used less than 3/4 cup water for the dough.. and they were very flakey indeed! Thank you, Debber, for sharing your wonderful recipe. Made for PAC '07.