A delicious meat pie, the directions do not include the ingredients for the "pie crust" or the gravy. Feel free to use your favorite pie crust and gravy recipe. Originally, pasties were made for miners. Their wives (or mothers) used lard to make the crusts. Once the pasties were cooked, they were wrapped tightly until lunch time and easily eaten - perhaps like a warm sandwich. Now, we eat pasties smothered in gravy, using a knife & fork. I've submitted this recipe using diced chicken. Pasties can be made with diced or ground meat, with chicken, beef, fish or vegetarian - the choice is yours. Be creative! If you ever have a chance to visit Michigan, Up North, I highly recommend stopping in one of the many pasty shops to try the real thing! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Thaw pie crust dough and warm to room temperature.
- Mix vegetables, meat and seasoning in a large bowl.
- Roll each pie crust into a 10 inch oval.
- Put 10 oz pasty filling on each dough sheet.
- Pull over the top and crimp the edges.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Serve with or without your favorite gravy.