Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Mmmmm this is so good! It is a wonderful flaky pastry and tasty meat filling. From a book (1973) given to me by my son he collects vintage cook books, does quite well. This book was not old enough for him, I'm glad because it has some great recipes!! Latin American Cooking, a treasury of recipes from the South American countries, Mexico and the Caribbean. I will be posting more from it as we try them out. (20 minutes chill time not included in cook time) I cut very small wedges (12) and served it as an appetizer.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 lb pork, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb veal, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb beef, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- Pastry: Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter and blend into the flour with the fingertips until the size of small peas.
- Mix in the margarine.
- Stir in the cold water with a fork, adding 4 tablespoons first, then 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Chill for 20 minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half and roll on a lightly floured board.
- Fit the pastry into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Filling: Mix the meats, seasonings and flour.
- Fill the pastry with the meat.
- Add the water and 1/2 the sherry.
- Cover with the second round of pastry.
- Cut a 2 inch slit in the centre.
- Bake in a 350f degree oven for 2 hours.
- Pour sherry through the slit in the top crust before serving.