Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
An unusual dish, this soup is placed in individual dishes and baked in the oven with a pastry top.
- 15 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 150 ml boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar
- 450 g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 450 g shortcrust pastry (frozen or hand made)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 pinch sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in the boiling water for 10 minutes Drain, chop and reserve the liquid.
- Heat half the oil in a pan and gently cook the onions and garlic for 10 mins add the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes The onions should be dark golden brown.
- In a separate pan heat the remaining oil and cook the flat mushrooms until tender and browned.
- Add sherry, porcini liquid, stock, soy and potatoes to the onions and cook for 5 minutes Add the mushrooms and season well.
- Spoon the soup into individual oven proof dishes. Moisten the rims of the dishes.
- Roll out the pastry 10 about 1 cm larger than the dishes and place over the dish. Trim the edges and use to decorate if desired. Repeat with the other dishes.
- Decorate the pie lids with any excess pastry if desired. Brush with egg and sprinkle with the dried herbs and sea salt.