Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Simple puff pastry shapes can make a simple dessert special. Use stars, trees, circles, rectangles, or whatever takes your fancy. Great when you are short of time as the shapes can be prepared ahead of time.
- 1 sheet pre-rolled flakey puff pastry
- 2 cups berries (all one kind or mixed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or liqueur of choice)
- 300 ml cream
- 2 -3 drops vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1⁄2 orange (grated rind of)
- icing sugar or powdered sugar, to dust
- Pre heat oven to 200'C.
- While the oven heats cut out pastry shapes.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and chill til oven is ready.
- Bake for 5-6 mins until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.(You can do this well in advance).
- For Filling:.
- Hull and quarter any large berries and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle in the sugar using smaller amount first & then check for sweetness. Use more if needed. Then add the orange juice or liqueur.
- Whip the cream with the second measure of sugar, the vanilla essence, and the orange rind until soft peaks form.
- Assemble just before serving by carefully splitting the pastry shapes into two layers.
- Place bottom layer on a flat plate and cover with a generous spoon of the berries. Top this with whipped cream then carefully place on the pastry top.
- Sieve over a little icing sugar and serve.