Recipe by DoveChocolatierinKY
Posted on behalf of Yahoo Group SillyYaks. This is the BEST pie crust I have ever made, even pre-gf! It is gluten free, and dairy free and can be made soy free as well.It is not crumbly, but it rolls out best between sheets of parchment paper. It has a wonderful taste and holds it shape well. I've used it to make whole pies and even turn-over style individual pies. --Mariann [my version of a recipe from the AiA Gluten & Dairy Free Cookbook.]
Top Review by **Jubes**
*Fantastic* 5 stars as this was very easy to make and tasted wonderful. I did roll my pastry between two sheets of quality baking paper as suggested. The left-over pastry I just patted out and baked small pastry squares. I was thinking of adding a topping to them ....but my kids ate them as biscuits/cookies. I made my pastry into a savoury pie with a cheese and silverbeet (swiss chard) filling. Very good. I'll definitely be making this pastry again. I like that it can be made vegan if required. This was an easy pastry to work with. Where my pastry split as I ws placing it into the pie dish, I just pressed it back together and it worked perfectly. I'll post a photo for you too. Thanks for a great recipe UPDATED- to add that I have now made this pastry several times and it has worked great each time
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 ounces margarine (see below***)
- 1 large egg, beaten (or use 1/4 cup extra ice water if allergic to eggs)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or water if you can't use vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- *Mix flours, salt, and xanthan gum in a bowl. Rub in the margarine,but not too much. The mixture should resemble baked beans rather than breadcrumbs.
- *In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vinegar and ice water.
- Slowly stir the egg mix into the flour mix, until a ball is formed.
- *Knead the pastry (with a little gf flour if needed) for 2-3 minutes.
- Wrap the pastry and place in the fridge for at least an hour. **It can be frozen at this stage.
- *If the pastry is a little hard when removed from the fridge, knead again a little bit.
- *Roll out on a floured surface. Place in pie pan and follow baking instructions for your pie recipe.
- *If cooked pastry is needed for your recipe the pastry can be cooked at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- ***substitute Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening to make it soy free. This is a non-hydrogenated, trans fat free vegetable shortening made from palm oil.