1/1 Photo of Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust - Gluten Free
Posted on behalf of Yahoo Group SillyYaks. This is the BEST pie crust I have ever made, even pre-gf! It is gluten free, and dairy free and can be made soy free as well.It is not crumbly, but it rolls out best between sheets of parchment paper. It has a wonderful taste and holds it shape well. I've used it to make whole pies and even turn-over style individual pies. --Mariann [my version of a recipe from the AiA Gluten & Dairy Free Cookbook.]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 ounces margarine (see below***)
- 1 large egg, beaten (or use 1/4 cup extra ice water if allergic to eggs)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or water if you can't use vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1*Mix flours, salt, and xanthan gum in a bowl. Rub in the margarine,but not too much. The mixture should resemble baked beans rather than breadcrumbs.
- 2*In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vinegar and ice water.
- 3Slowly stir the egg mix into the flour mix, until a ball is formed.
- 4*Knead the pastry (with a little gf flour if needed) for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Wrap the pastry and place in the fridge for at least an hour. **It can be frozen at this stage.
- 6*If the pastry is a little hard when removed from the fridge, knead again a little bit.
- 7*Roll out on a floured surface. Place in pie pan and follow baking instructions for your pie recipe.
- 8*If cooked pastry is needed for your recipe the pastry can be cooked at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- 9***substitute Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening to make it soy free. This is a non-hydrogenated, trans fat free vegetable shortening made from palm oil.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust - Gluten Free
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.2
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 436.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: