Recipe by Chef by Chance
This is from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook. Pie Crust, unbaked, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours and frozen for up to 2 months. I used the cooking time for the time the dough needs to rest in the refrigerator.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces & chilled
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, cut into small pieces & chilled
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and pulse 5 times.
- Add the chilled shortening pieces and pulse 5 times.
- Add the sour cream and pulse 5 times.
- Place mixture into a large bowl. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of ice water over the mixture and press down with a spatula until the dough sticks together. Add more water if necessary.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls, flatten into disks. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough, place in pie plate and shape. Refrigerate another 30 minutes before filling or baking.