Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here's my dad's recipe for pastry crust.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- Measure unsifted flour into a bowl, and stir in the salt. With two knives, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture is granulated, not creamy.
- Combine the egg yolk, vinegar, and water. Make a well in the flour mixture, and pour the yolk-mixture into the well. Mix thoroughly using one knife.
- Beat the egg white until stiff, but not dry, and fold it into the dough, mixing well. Shape the dough into a ball and sprinkle it with flour.
- Turn the dough onto wax paper, dusting with flour if necessary. Shape the dough into an oblong 4 inches across. Wrapp tightly, and refrigerate or freeze.