Pastry cream is a basic preparation for many desserts. Tart bases, eclair fillings, cake fillings - the list goes on and on. There are many different formulas, but this one is my favorite because it's consistent and I love the brown sugar flavor. If you add about 3 oz. of metlted chocolate to this you will have chocolate pastry cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the yolks, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- 2Stir in the cornstarch.
- 3Heat the milk and vanilla bean (if using) to scalding in a heavy saucepan.
- 4SLOWLY whisk the milk into the eggs, whisking the eggs constantly.
- 5This is called"tempering".
- 6Start out with just a thin stream of milk, constantly whisking, then as the eggs warm up you can add the milk faster.
- 7You need to do this slowly at first to avoid scrambling the yolks.
- 8If you do that, you have to start over.
- 9Remove the vanilla bean and pour the yolk mixture back into the pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens- about 3-5 minutes.
- 10Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cream and the vanilla extract (if using).
- 11Pass the cream through a fine mesh strainer (very important to do!!!), then place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- 12Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill.
- 13Will keep several days in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.1
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 606.9 mg
- Sodium 177.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 46.2 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: