From Cook's Illustrated's, "Baking Illustrated". A rich and delicious pastry cream that makes a wonderful filling for many pastries, cakes, etc. Placing this here for safe keeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat half-and-half, 6 tablespoons sugar, and salt in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until simmering, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. If using vanilla bean, add this as well.
- 2Whisk yolks in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and whisk until sugar begins to dissolve and mixture is creamy. Whisk in cornstarch until combined and mixture is pal yellow and thick.
- 3When half-and-half mixture reaches full simmer, gradually whisk half-and-half mixture into yolk mixture to temper. Return mixture to pan, scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- 4Return to simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until a few bubbles burst on the surface and the mixture is thickened and glossy. This takes about a minute.
- 5Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla (if using vanilla bean, scrape the pod and add seeds). Strain the pastry cream through a fine-mesh sieve set over medium bowl. This will remove any curdled bits that might have formed during the cooking process.
- 6Press plastic wrap directly on surface of pastry cream to prevent skimming and refrigerate until cold and ready to use.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.6
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 337.5 mg
- Sodium 100.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 25.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g