1/4 Photos of Pastrami-Reuben Casserole
If you love reubens then this is for you! Thinly sliced leftover roast beef or steak may use in place of pastrami. You may double all amounts and make two layers if desired. Don't be shy with the dressing, sauerkraut and cheese--use as much as you want--the amounts stated are only a guideline, just make certain to use as much bread cubes as needed to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Place the cubes in the dish before baking just to be sure. Toasting the bread cubes prevents the bread from becoming soggy. You may skip this step if you wish, but the sauerkraut will need to to hand-squeezed to remove as much liquid as possible :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices dark pumpernickel bread (or use as much bread slices as needed to cover the bottom of the baking dish) or 8 slices rye bread (or use as much bread slices as needed to cover the bottom of the baking dish)
- soft butter
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained (you may rinse if desired)
- 1 lb pastrami (cut into strips, can use more or less than) or 1 lb corned beef (cut into strips, can use more or less than)
- 2 cups thousand island dressing (see my Kittencal's Thousand Island Dressing)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (can use more) or 2 cups mozzarella cheese (can use more)
- 1Set oven to 400°F.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3Lightly butter both sides of the bread slices.
- 4Slice in to about 1-1/2-inch cubes then place on a baking sheet.
- 5Bake until semi-crisp, but NOT hard and brown.
- 6Spread the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish.
- 7Sprinkle the sauerkraut over the bread cubes.
- 8Layer the beef strips evenly over the sauerkraut.
- 9Pour the salad dressing completely over the top (you may use more than 2 cups if needed).
- 10Cover with foil and bake 400°F (bottom oven rack) for 20-25 minutes.
- 11Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese and continue to bake UNCOVERED for another 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastrami-Reuben Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.9
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.5 mg
- Sodium 2261.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g