My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs beef silverside (grade Good or better (in 1 piece))
- 4 ounces canning salt or 4 ounces kosher salt
- 1 ounce cracked black pepper (#6 mesh)
- 2 ounces light brown sugar or 2 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 ounce fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 ounce ground coriander
- to taste cracked black pepper (#6 mesh)
- to taste white beef stock
- 1Trim the beef.
- 2Combine the salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, garlic, and coriander.
- 3Working on a clean, nonporous surface, rub the seasoning mixture into all surfaces of the beef.
- 4Place the beef with all the seasonings into a heavy:-duty sealable plastic bag.
- 5Expel the excess air, and carefully tie and seal the bag.
- 6Put the bag in the cooler.
- 7Rotate and lightly massage the sealed bag at least once a day for 12 days.
- 8SMOKING Preheat the smoker to 650F (180C). Adjust the dampers to wide open.
- 9Remove the beef from the plastic bag.
- 10Using a trussing needle and strong cord, provide a secure loop to hang the meat on a smoke stick.
- 11Place into the smoker Allow to air dry with no smoke for a full 24 hours.
- 12Remove the meat from the smoker and cover loosely.
- 13Set the temperature at 1'3()0F (540C) with the dampers wide open.
- 14Return the meat to the smoker and hold at this setting for 2 hours.
- 15Adjust the dampers to one-half open.
- 16Monitor the temperature and raise the tempera ture gradually over the next several hours.
- 17Remove the pastrami when its internal temperature reaches 1200F (490C). Do not shower with cold water.
- 18Apply a finishing rub of cracked pepper.
- 19Cool quickly and wrap tightly.
- 20Refrigerate for 2 days before using.
- 21To cook, unwrap the chilled pastrami and place in a large quantity of white beef stock.
- 22Bring quickly to a full boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 or more hours until tender.
- 23Store the pastrami tightly wrapped and well-chilled at all times.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastrami
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.6
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7553.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: