Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Can you believe you make this in a crockpot? Try it!
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherries or 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place filling in a slow cooker.
- Combine dry cake mix and butter (mixture will be crumbly); sprinkle over filling.
- Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Serve in bowls.
Love the title of this recipe. I was going to post this and saw it was already here. The version I have adds 2 cans of chopped pears with juice. Add some paper towels before you put the lid on the slow cooker, and the moisture that builds up won't drip down on the cake as it cooks. You can also get a "Bread 'n Cake Bake Pan" from Rival Crock Pot that is a pan with a vented lid that fits in the crockpot... in case you are a kitchen gadget freak like I am. Gotta love the special pans.
My Husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I put it in the crock pot and we had lunch and it was there warm waiting for ice cream. It browned and was gooey and delicious ! I will definitely be making again and trying different pie fillings. Thank you for the recipe.
I agree this turned out great, everyone loved it! I did make the mistake of grabbing 2 cans of un-pitted cherries, don't know what I was thinking. Next time I'll go for the pitted ones! I did take the advice of another reviewer (Lelandra) and put some paper towels on top to catch the condensation, that worked really well, it didn't turn out soggy......thanks :)