So, I have no idea who Pastor Tom really is...but let me tell you, he can make a MEAN tortilla soup. This recipe was given to me from my mom and it has become a family favorite. I will never make tortilla soup another way. It's got great heat and flavor. You can add leftover shredded chicked as well. A little of the adobo sauce goes a LONG way. Suggestion: remove pepper if storing leftovers, otherwise it gets spicier!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 medium onion, cut up
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, and a little
- adobo sauce (to taste)
- tortilla chips, crunched
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- shredded chicken (optional)
- 1Blend tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and sugar.
- 2Add blended ingredients to a large pot.
- 3Add in chicken broth, chipotle pepper and adobe sauce.
- 4Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minute.
- 5In individual soup bowls add: tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.
- 6Ladle hot soup on top and serve immediatley.
Browse Our Top Spicy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastor Tom's Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.4
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 768.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo