Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
So, I have no idea who Pastor Tom really is...but let me tell you, he can make a MEAN tortilla soup. This recipe was given to me from my mom and it has become a family favorite. I will never make tortilla soup another way. It's got great heat and flavor. You can add leftover shredded chicked as well. A little of the adobo sauce goes a LONG way. Suggestion: remove pepper if storing leftovers, otherwise it gets spicier!
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 medium onion, cut up
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, and a little
- adobo sauce (to taste)
- tortilla chips, crunched
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- shredded chicken (optional)
- Blend tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and sugar.
- Add blended ingredients to a large pot.
- Add in chicken broth, chipotle pepper and adobe sauce.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minute.
- In individual soup bowls add: tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.
- Ladle hot soup on top and serve immediatley.
Tom Brown is a minister at the Word of Life Church here in El Paso, TX. We LOVE his tortilla soup. It is wonderful. The original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp sugar, 8 cups of chicken broth, 1 1/2 lbs cooked shredded chicken and 2-3 chipotle peppers w/ adobo sauce. Seems your version was modified to fit someone's tastes! And taste is the key.....this soup, modified or not, will knock your socks off! BTW, I blend my pepper and adobo sauce in the blender with the rest of the ingredients. Yummy!