Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This isn't the kind of "gravy" that most of us think of when we hear that word; it's more like a delicious, thick vegetable sauce to be liberally spooned over chicken, meat, rice (Grant's choice), eggs, polenta...it goes with everything and makes everything taste better.
- 2 (12 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 piece salt pork, 3 inches or 3 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Dice salt pork or bacon and fry in a large skillet in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add diced onion and peppers and garlic, frying until meat is browned.
- Remove the vegetables and meat from the skillet and set aside.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of flour into skillet and brown the flour lightly.
- Pour the cans of tomatoes into the skillet, cooking and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then add meat and vegetables back into skillet.
- Simmer for 7 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne if desired.
Simple and very good. I seved this over pasta. The bacon gives this a nice flavor and should not be left out. Like most times I used more garlic! Will keep this and will probably add some oregano and thyme next time.