Recipe by Geema
This isn't the kind of "gravy" that most of us think of when we hear that word; it's more like a delicious, thick vegetable sauce to be liberally spooned over chicken, meat, rice (Grant's choice), eggs, polenta...it goes with everything and makes everything taste better.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Simple and very good. I seved this over pasta. The bacon gives this a nice flavor and should not be left out. Like most times I used more garlic! Will keep this and will probably add some oregano and thyme next time.
- 2 (12 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 piece salt pork, 3 inches or 3 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice salt pork or bacon and fry in a large skillet in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add diced onion and peppers and garlic, frying until meat is browned.
- Remove the vegetables and meat from the skillet and set aside.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of flour into skillet and brown the flour lightly.
- Pour the cans of tomatoes into the skillet, cooking and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Then add meat and vegetables back into skillet.
- Simmer for 7 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne if desired.