Recipe by Chocolatl
This recipe is from the canton of Ticino, the southernmost canton of Switzerland and the closest to Italy. Adapted from Cooking the Swiss Way. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric may be substituted for the saffron.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, was this good Chocolatl. We really enjoyed this tasty dish. It was full of flavor. The sauce was a perfect blend for the pasta and the cheese. I used saffron in the beautiful, creamy sauce. What a lovely way to let the ground pork shine. I'm so glad that I tried this, I will be making this recipe often. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for the Witchin Kitchen.
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, loosely packed
- 9 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pork in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly and breaking meat up into small pieces.
- Drain excess fat and return meat to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add salt, pepper, basil, water, and bouillon cube.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch and cream together.
- Bring pork mixture to a boil.
- Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Continue to cook and stir until mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add saffron, stirring until well blended.
- Simmer, uncovered, until ready to serve.
- Prepare fettucini according to package directions. Drain well.
- Place noodles in 4 individual serving bowls.
- Ladle sauce over noodles and top with parsley and cheese.