This recipe is from the canton of Ticino, the southernmost canton of Switzerland and the closest to Italy. Adapted from Cooking the Swiss Way. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric may be substituted for the saffron.
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, loosely packed
- 9 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pork in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly and breaking meat up into small pieces.
- Drain excess fat and return meat to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add salt, pepper, basil, water, and bouillon cube.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch and cream together.
- Bring pork mixture to a boil.
- Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Continue to cook and stir until mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add saffron, stirring until well blended.
- Simmer, uncovered, until ready to serve.
- Prepare fettucini according to package directions. Drain well.
- Place noodles in 4 individual serving bowls.
- Ladle sauce over noodles and top with parsley and cheese.