Recipe by Rita P
One of the treasures brought to America from Greece long ago. Serves 40, great for potlucks but you can third the recipe for a family, divide the third recipe into 2 casseroles freeze one and serve the other.
- 1 cup butter, melted and separated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 1⁄2 lbs elbow macaroni
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 1 lb parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Macaroni Mixture: Melt 1/2 cup butter in skillet and add ground chuck.
- Stir until brown, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Set this mixture aside.
- Boil macaroni until almost done, drain well, and put in large bowl.
- Stir in other 1/2 cup melted butter; set aside.
- Grease bottom and sides of pan (11 x 14 x 2-inch).
- Put 1/2 macaroni mixture into pan.
- Then cover macaroni with all of ground chuck mixture and top with remaining macaroni.
- Set aside.
- Crema Sauce: Beat eggs until smooth, then stir in melted butter and milk.
- Slowly mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Mix all ingredients well and spread over macaroni mixture, making sure it goes through the mixture.
- Bake 1 hour or until brown.
- Let stand about 15 minutes; then cut in squares.
- Secret: This may be frozen and warmed again to serve.