Recipe by bunkie68
I'm trying to follow a reduced-carb diet, and I concocted this from a pastitsio recipe I have. I was doing it from memory, so I'm not sure how close it is to the original recipe, but I was pleased with the outcome.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk
- seasoning (I used salt, nutmeg, oregano and cinnamon)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- seasoning (I used salt, freshly ground black pepper, oregano, cinnamon and mint)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, brown ground beef.
- When beef is almost done, add onions and garlic and continue cooking until beef is cooked through and onions are soft.
- Add seasonings and Parmesan cheese and mix well; set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir to create a paste, cooking until the paste is thick and bubbly but not brown.
- Add milk and stir constantly until the sauce begins to thicken (can add more milk if consistency is too thick).
- Add seasonings to sauce and mix well.
- Pour sauce into meat mixture and add feta cheese; stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8" x 8" casserole dish, top with additional Parmesan cheese, and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.