Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From "Fix It and Forget It New Cookbook" by Phyllis Good. I have not yet tried this, but wanted to save it, as it seems like a good recipe for potlucks. I am wondering if there is enough pasta for the number of servings, however. Prep time estimated.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked macaroni
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Saute onion and beef together in a skillet. Drain excess fat after the beef is browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, allspice and cinnamon into the meat and onions. Set aside to cool.
- Beat together one egg and milk, and stir into the uncooked macaroni, along with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the macaroni mix into a greased 5 qt slow cooker.
- Whisk one egg into the tomato-meat sauce. Pour it over the macaroni in the slow cooker.
- Combine the two remaining eggs, flour and half and half in a bowl and whisk together well, Add the remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and whisk again.
- Gently pour the half-and-half mixture over the tomato sauce layer, trying not to disturb it if possible. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours, until macaroni is soft and sauce is bubbling around the edges. (Not sure how to check the macaroni when it's the bottom, but that's what she wrote!).