Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A dish from Greece that is amazing. The addition of cinnamon is traditional of this dish.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb, onion, and garlic in a large skillet till the meat is brown.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Cook, covered, about 5 minutes or till heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Layer half the pasta in a 2 quart square baking dish.
- Top with meat mixture, then the remaining pasta.
- For sauce, melt margarine in a small saucepan.
- Stir in flour and 1/8 tsp pepper till well blended.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir some of the mixture into the egg.
- Return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup parmesn cheese.
- Pour sauce over the pasta layer.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven about 35 minutes or till heated through.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.