Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Taste better the second day giving all the flavors a chance to blend. You can reheat at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb romano cheese, freshly grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Saute onions in a little butter until golden; add ground beef, salt, pepper to taste, spices and tomato paste; cook until meat is browned.
- Sauce: Melt rest of butter; add flour and stir; stir in milk and bring to a boil over low heat.
- Cook about 2 minutes.
- Remove from stove; add cheese; beat eggs and gradually add to white sauce, a little at a time.
- Place half the macaroni in a 13x9 baking pan that has been sprayed with a vegetable cooking spray.
- Spread meat mixture over the macaroni; cover the meat with the remaining macaroni; pour white sauce over it.
- Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes.