Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Southern Living. A traditional Greek dish made of pasta, beef, cinnamon, tomatoes, and a white sauce.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 (3 ounce) packagesshredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- Toss pasta with 3 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground round, onion, and garlic; stirring to crumble meat; cook until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, cinnamon, and pepper.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over low heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk; cook and whisk constantly over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until thick and pale.
- Whisk about 1/4 milk mixture into eggs; add to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly.
- To assemble: spoon pasta mixture into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Spoon beef mixture over pasta.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Top with cream sauce.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until golden.
I don't know if this is the exact same SL recipe I've used many times (I lost my copy.) But, it is very similar and o delicious.