Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The long, slow cooking results in one heck of a sauce!
- 3 lbs boneless veal shoulder, in one piece,rolled and tied (or beef)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
- 5 allspice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces grated pecorino romano cheese
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Rub veal with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- Make shallow incisions all over meat and insert thin slices of garlic, using about half.
- Heat 3 tblsps olive oil over medium-high heat until rippling; add meat and sear on all sides.
- Add remaining garlic, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to very low.
- Cook, covered, 10 minutes, shaking casserole 2 or 3 times to prevent sticking.
- Add wine and vinegar, increase heat to high.
- Heat to boiling, then remove from heat.
- Cover casserole tightly with foil; place lid securely over foil.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove lid and foil; turn meat with wooden spoons so as not to pierce; replace foil and lid; bake 30 minutes longer.
- Heat remaining 3 tblsps oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until rippling.
- Stir in onion; reduce heat to medium.
- Saute until onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, ½ tsp salt, sugar, 1/8 tsp pepper and cayenne.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, 20 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and increase oven temperature to 375F.
- Pour sauce over meat; replace foil and lid.
- Bake 3-4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove casserole from oven.
- Transfer meat to heatproof platter, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove and discard bay leaf, cinnamon, allspice and cloves from sauce.
- Let sauce stand a few minutes; degrease.
- Use a small amount of the fat removed from the sauce to grease a wide, shallow, 4-quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, put butter into a small saucepan and melt over medium-low heat.
- Let butter brown.
- This is knows as beurre noisette.
- It should be very fragrant.
- Add browned butter to pasta along with half of grated cheese.
- Toss to coat.
- Add 2 cups of tomato sauce and toss again; turn into baking dish.
- Until veal roll and cut into ½ inch slices.
- Arrange in overlapping row over pasta.
- Pour remaining sauce over all.
- Bake, covered with foil, 10 minutes.
- Uncover, bake 10 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.
Very good! I omitted the allspice berries and increased the garlic. otherwise made as stated, I served the veal with penne, we loved this recipe, thanks Ev!:)