Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicate cookie from the Catalunya and Baleares Region of Spain. From Penelope Casa's book "Delicioso!" She recommends using lard for authenticity and best flavor.
- 2⁄3 cup lard or 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening, softened
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- confectioners' sugar, Sifted (for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat together the lard and butter.
- Incorporate the sugar, egg yolk and lemon peel into the lard/butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cinnamon and flour; work into the lard mixture with your hands to form a smooth dough.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut with a 3-inch scalloped cookie cutter (or other shape).
- Arrange cookies on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool briefly on the cookie sheet as they are delicate when warm.
- When cool, coat with confectioner's sugar.
I used Indian Ghee, instead of lard because my family cannot eat lard and we didn't have vegetable shortening available at the moment. However, the ghee works wonders, it gives a slight indian flavor.
i forgot to mention i got 47 cooies out of them with that recipe