Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple pasta recipe. You can use any pasta.
- 13 ounces fusilli
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup fresh asiago cheese, in cubes
- 1⁄4 cup sharp asiago cheese, grated
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 5 ounces asparagus, steamed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sweat the chopped onion and garlic in a pan with a little olive oil until translucent and then add the whole sausage. When well browned add the tomato paste, the drained peeled tomatoes, a pinch of salt and freshly grated pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and add 3/4 cup of hot water. When simmering, cover and let cook for about 40 minutes over a moderate flame.
- Cook the pasta separately in a large pot of salted boiling water and drain it when it is still "al dente," firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
- Return the pasta to the pot and stir in the sauce, the steamed asparagus and the diced Asiago cheese. Pour into a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with dabs of butter and the grated sharp Asiago cheese.
- Place in a hot oven at 450°F for 15 minutes. Serve the pasta straight from the oven dish.
- Serves 4.