This is a basic recipe for Italian pastry cream which is used as a filling for many cakes and pastries. The chocolate pastry cream is made from this same base, with the addition of the chocolate. Depending on the recipe you are going to use the pastry cream for, you may prefer to omit the lemon rind. Here are the recipes for the basic and chocolate variety. Prep/Cook times do not include chilling time.
My Private Note
Cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or confectioner's sugar)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind (omit for chocolate pasticciera cream) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Chocolate Pasticciera Cream
- 2 ounces baking chocolate, grated
- 1Place sugar, egg yolks flour, lemon rind (if using it), and vanilla in a sauce pan and mix together well.
- 2In a separate sauce pan, scald milk.
- 3Very slowly pour milk over egg yolk mixture, in a thin stream, beating constantly with rotary beater.
- 4Continue cooking on low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches the boiling point.
- 5Cook 4 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- 6(**At this point, if making chocolate pasticciera cream, add chocolate and while stirring, cook 1 minute longer.) Remove pan from heat, add butter and mix well.
- 7Pour into bowl and let cool, stir occasionally to prevent skin from forming over the top.
- 8If using as a cake/pastry filling, chill (with plastic wrap pressed onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming) until very thick at least 3-4 hours.
- 9For Chocolate Pasticciera Cream: **Add grated chocolate to cooked pasticciera cream and cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly, until chocolate is blended well.
- 10Cool/chill before using as a cake/pastry filling.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasticciera Cream (Italian Pastry Cream )
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.6
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 230.9 mg
- Sodium 139.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 13.0 g