Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pastelon is a Puerto Rican dish first recommended to me by one of my nurses, who is from Puerto Rico. Picture a lasagna, but instead of noodles for the separating layers, you use plantains. It's SO good! There are many variations, but this is how I prepare it. Plus, a lot of the common additions to Pastelon - like capers, olives or raisins, if you desire.This is Maldo's recipe and made it last night and thought I'd share ;) I used my Sofrito Cubano.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 large white onion, diced
- sofrito sauce (use your own, I did recipe #207700) or use goya's sofrito sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (I used Hunt's)
- sazon goya, with annato and cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup corn niblets (from the can, that is the way the recipe is written)
- 1⁄2 cup French style green bean (from the can, that is the way the recipe is written)
- 4 -6 ripe plantains (you should see lots of black, that is sweet)
- 4 -6 ounces cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat dash of oil, sofrito, Sazon, onion and garlic on medium heat until well sauteed.
- Add ground beef and tomato sauce and stir until well cooked, but not dry.
- Drain any grease.
- Make sure ground beef is well ground (that it has no chunks).
- Add corn and string beans to mixture.
- Add cheese to picadillo (ground beef), if using, it helps to bind the meat together.
- Peel and slice plantains lengthwise.
- If the plantains are large, you'll probably get about three-four lengths per plantain.
- Saute plantain slices in medium-hot oil for a few mintues, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Set slices on paper toweled tray or use a brown garbage bag, and allow the oil to be absorbed; and pat dry.
- Layer plantains along bottom of greased 9x9 pan.
- Pour two eggs, beaten, over bottom layer.
- Top with ground beef layer.
- Repeat plantain and beef layers, making sure the plantain layer is the top.
- Optional cheese layer on top.
- Cook in 350ºF oven for about 35 minutes, making sure eggs are cooked and not watery.