1 hr 30 mins
Pastelon is a Puerto Rican dish first recommended to me by one of my nurses, who is from Puerto Rico. Picture a lasagna, but instead of noodles for the separating layers, you use plantains. It's SO good! There are many variations, but this is how I prepare it. Plus, a lot of the common additions to Pastelon - like capers, olives or raisins, if you desire.This is Maldo's recipe and made it last night and thought I'd share ;) I used my Sofrito Cubano.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- sofrito sauce (use your own, I did Sofrito Cubano) or use goya's sofrito sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (I used Hunt's)
- sazon goya, with annato and cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup corn niblets (from the can, that is the way the recipe is written)
- 1/2 cup French style green bean (from the can, that is the way the recipe is written)
- 4 -6 ripe plantains (you should see lots of black, that is sweet)
- 4 -6 ounces cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1Heat dash of oil, sofrito, Sazon, onion and garlic on medium heat until well sauteed.
- 2Add ground beef and tomato sauce and stir until well cooked, but not dry.
- 3Drain any grease.
- 4Make sure ground beef is well ground (that it has no chunks).
- 5Add corn and string beans to mixture.
- 6Add cheese to picadillo (ground beef), if using, it helps to bind the meat together.
- 7Peel and slice plantains lengthwise.
- 8If the plantains are large, you'll probably get about three-four lengths per plantain.
- 9Saute plantain slices in medium-hot oil for a few mintues, flipping halfway through cooking.
- 10Set slices on paper toweled tray or use a brown garbage bag, and allow the oil to be absorbed; and pat dry.
- 11Layer plantains along bottom of greased 9x9 pan.
- 12Pour two eggs, beaten, over bottom layer.
- 13Top with ground beef layer.
- 14Repeat plantain and beef layers, making sure the plantain layer is the top.
- 15Optional cheese layer on top.
- 16Cook in 350ºF oven for about 35 minutes, making sure eggs are cooked and not watery.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastelon De Platanos Maduros
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.4
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 168.7 mg
- Sodium 238.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 34.7 g