Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very tasty way of using ripe plantains. This is one of my favorite dishes! Plantains need to be yellow and a little tender for this recipe. Plantains that have many dark spots and are very very tender should not be used.
- 10 -15 ripe plantains
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sazon goya con culantro y achiote
- oregano (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- Cut plantains in strips (moving in a horizontal direction).
- In a pan, with heated oil, fry plantains in low heat until done.
- In another pan, add sofrito, tomato sauce, meat, sazon, and oregano.
- When plantains are done and after cooling, press plantains with a fork until flat.
- Grease a baking pan (size up to cook's discretion) and arrange the first layer of plantain strips.
- Beat eggs and pour half the mix over.
- When meat is ready, add meat over plantain layer.
- Add a second layer of plantain strips.
- Pour remaining beaten eggs.
- Bake at 350° until egg mixture is no longer watery.
Wowzers, this totally rocks! OK so I adjusted the quantitites - made it with 2 plantains, 2 eggs, 1/2lb minced beef and about 4tbs sofrito - to serve just two. Absolutely amazing. Delicious and funky looking all in one. I served it with a little rice too, which worked well. Thanks!
I made this recipe on the week of thanksgiving, for a "workers get together day", and they love it, thanks. ;-)