5 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
In Puerto Rico, these wrapped goodies are made in large quantities during the holidays, often with several family members sharing in the tasks of preparation. A food processor or blender makes the job easier. There are different versions. This one has a lot of ingredients but it is still very good. You can also stuff them with chicken instead of pork. (Time to make depends on how much help you can get!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup lard or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon annatto seeds
- 1 1/2 lbs lean pork, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 lb pork fatback, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or 1/4 lb bacon, strips cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 small sweet green peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (aj?es dulces) (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 leaves fresh culantro, coarsely chopped (or cilantrillo, or both)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives, sliced into thin rounds, with 1 tablespoon liquid
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 cups raisins
Ingredients for the dough
- 2 large green plantains
- green bananas
- 2 lbs yautia (taro root, malanga, dasheen)
- 1 cup broth, reserved from cooking the filling
- 1 tablespoon salt
Ingredients for the wrapping
- 1 lb frozen banana leaves, spines removed or 1 lb fresh banana leaf, cut into 12-inch squares spines removed
- 20 sheets parchment paper, 12-inch x 18-inch (If banana leaves are not available, parchment paper may be used for entire wrapping)
- string or butcher s kitchen twine
- 1add oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the annatto seeds and heat for one minute to release their orange color.
- 2Remove from heat and drain the oil into a separate container.
- 3Discard the seeds and return half of the oil to the skillet.
- 4Return the oil to medium-high heat and add the pork and bacon. Brown for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, small green peppers, tomatoes, culantro, and oregano, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the chickpeas and olives (with their respective liquids), capers, and raisins.
- 7Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 40 minutes. When done, uncover and allow to cool.
- 8Drain the broth into a separate container and set aside.
- 9Make the dough by peeling the plantains and the bananas, first cutting off the ends and running a knife tip lengthwise along one or more of the ridges.
- 10Insert and run a thumb just beneath the cut peel to lift and remove it. Peel the yautia.
- 11Place plantains, bananas, and yautia into a large bowl of salted cold water to prevent discoloring.
- 12You can grate them using the fine side of a hand grater, or instead, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces for the processor.
- 13Fill 1/3 to 1/2 of the food processor or blender container with the cut vegetables, slowly adding broth to form a smooth, porridgelike mash. It should not be runny.
- 14Transfer the purée to a large bowl. If you run out of broth, substitute water as needed.
- 15Stir in the salt and the remaining annatto oil.
- 16Place a banana leaf on a sheet of parchment paper.
- 17Drop a scant 1/2 cup of the dough onto the center of the leaf and spread it several inches all around with the back of a spoon.
- 18Drop 2 tablespoons of the filling a bit off center. Fold each long side and then the ends toward the center.
- 19Slide the encased leaf toward the long edge of the parchment and wrap again.
- 20Fold end flaps over.
- 21Tie two pasteles together, with folded edges facing each other.
- 22To cook, put a batch (4 to 6 tied bundles) into a large kettle of salted boiling water and cook semicovered at medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- 23Turn the bundles over and cook 40 minutes more.
- 24When done, drain them well, remove the strings and wrappings, and serve hot.
Nutritional Facts for Pasteles
Serving Size: 1 (2980 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.7
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 629.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: