1 hr 35 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
Okay, I have to admit, this cake is a lot of work. But what a final presentation it makes! It is my favorite type of tres leches, but I don't make it often because it is a lot of work! The taste is worth all the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 eggs, kept at room temperature for 1/2 hour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons brandy, mezcal or 2 tablespoons other liquor, of your choice
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Oil a jellyroll baking pan (15x10) and line it with waxed paper oiled on both sides.
- 3Separate the yolks and whites in 2 bowls.
- 4Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- 5Beat the yolks until light and lemon colored, about 20 minutes.
- 6The consistency should be very thick, and when you lift the beaters, the mixture should fall in one solid mass, known as the"ribbon stage.
- 7"Add 1/2 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- 8Add the vanilla and beat 3 minutes more.
- 9Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 10Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar slowly until it makes a meringue.
- 11Add the whites to the yolks 1/3 at a time and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- 12Add the flour all at once and fold in.
- 13Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the pan.
- 14Let it rest for 5 minutes, then remove it from the pan and place on a clean tea towel that has been dusted with confectioner's sugar.
- 15Remove the waxed paper by rubbing the top of the paper with a dry cloth all over the surface and peeling off.
- 16Cover the cake with another tea towel and roll up the cake lengthwise in the towels, like a jellyroll, while still warm.
- 17For the filling: Whip the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- 18Add the confectioner's sugar.
- 19Add the strawberries to the whipped cream and fold in.
- 20For the soaking liquid: Mix the milks with a whisk.
- 21Add the liquor.
- 22For the frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until soft and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- 23Add the vanilla and mix for 2 minutes.
- 24Slowly add the confectioner's sugar until it is well incorporated.
- 25Add the milk.
- 26To assemble the cake: Unroll the cake and remove the tea towel from the top layer.
- 27Spread the whipped cream mixture on the cake.
- 28Using the bottom as leverage, roll it up lengthwise.
- 29Transfer the cake to a serving tray seam side down.
- 30Make holes in the cake with a skewer and drizzle the soaking liquid, slowly, letting it absorb bit by bit.
- 31Cover the cake with the frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastel de Tres Leches Three-Milk Cake
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.1
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 267.6 mg
- Sodium 271.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 48.4 g
- Protein 10.7 g