From Fonda San Miguel in Austin TX. Garnish with fresh strawberries, peaches or other fresh fruit sliced. This is by far the best Tres Leches Cake I have ever made at home!
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 inch diameter pan with 3 inch sides with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high speed until doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add the water and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Mix well.
- On very low speed or by hand using a long spatula, gently fold dry ingredients into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is firm on top and has pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the cake out on a serving platter, place a cake polate over the cake and turn it right side up. Set aside to continue cooling.
- While cake is cooling, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, the evaporated milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 cup cream and set aside. Using a serrated knife, gently slice off the top skin of the cake and discard. Prick the cake all over with a long toothpick (To allow the cake to soak up the liquid.).
- Pour milk mixture over the cake in several batches, allowing it to soak in as much as possible each time. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, pour the remaining 2 cups cream into a chilled bowl and beat with chilled beaters until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread the whipped cream on the top and sides of the cake.
- Garnish with fresh fruit slices.
This was perfect! I added a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to the cream topping and it came out very well. I didn't have to use all of the milk mixture and it still was super moist. Muy rico!!!