Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted for ZWT II. Something a little different if you're looking for a Mexican dessert. Adapted from a little cookbook I have called Mexican Desserts and Drinks. Prep/cook times are guesses.
- 8 sheets graham crackers, crushed
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, crushed in food processor (any kind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit this if using salted nuts)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup rum (any kind, whatever you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, blend all crust ingredients until well-mixed. Press mixture into a 10 inch springform pan, going 1/2 inch up the sides. Bake at 325ºF for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over half-and-half. Add sugar and cook over medium heat until both sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Cool completely.
- Scrape thawed whipped topping into a large bowl. Fold in cooled gelatin mixture until well-mixed. Mix in rum and rum extract. Pour into prepared crust. Chill for at least two hours before serving.