Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious dish we make in Argentina. It's almost more like a casserole than a pie. Instead of potatoes you can also use mashed cauliflower, carrots or sweet potatoes as well.
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots (grated)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 118.29 ml green olives (optional)
- 5-7 peeled potatoes
- 29.58 ml butter (or to taste)
- 0.25 ml milk (optional)
- cumin (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Boil the potatoes until soft enough to mash. Drain then let cool down.
- Chop the onions into long thin slices and cook the onion together with the ground beef in a heated pan with (olive or canola) oil.
- Once the beef is fully cooked but not too dry (let there be some juice) you can add the grated carrots, olives, and chopped boiled eggs. Then add spices and mix together well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After the potatoes are cool enough, with a potatoe masher, mash them completely to take out as many chunks as possible. Add the butter, milk and salt if desired to taste.
- In an oven safe dish, place a first half inch layer of mashed potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Then apply all of the beef mixture on top of the first mashed potatoe layer. Then apply the second and final layer of mashed potatoes on top of the beef. Top with small pieces of butter, parsley and grated cheese (if desired). Let the potatoe brown and heat in the oven for twenty minutes. Let cool and serve warm!
This was a fun recipe to try! Simple ingredients come together to make one delicious family meal! My husband said this was the best "Shepard's pie" he's ever had! I will be making this again and sharing the recipe with friends!