Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A Chilean Corn and meat pie!! This I think is more authentic then the recipe I gave 5 stars to Susan O'Grady Pastel de Choclo. Her's is alot easier! Serve with a green salad. Chileans also serve it with extra powdered sugar on top at serving.
- 6 ear corn, grate the kernels
- 8 leaf fresh basil, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml salt
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29-236.59 ml milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 14.79-44.37 ml oil
- 453.59 g finely ground lean beef
- salt and pepper
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 236.59 ml black olives
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 12 piece chicken
- 29.58 ml confectioners' sugar
- Heat the grated corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot.
- Add the milk little by little, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Set aside while preparing the meat filling.
- Fry the onions in oil until transparent, add garlic cloves and the ground meat and stir to brown.
- Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
- Using an oven-proof serving dish.
- Spread over the bottom of the dish the onion-ground meat mixture.
- Arrange the hard boiled egg slices, olives and raisins over the meat mixture.
- Bone the chicken and put pieces on top.
- Cover the filling with the corn mixture.
- Sprinkle the confectioners' sugar over the top.
- Bake in a hot oven 400 Degreees F for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve at once with extra sugar.
this is an interesting dish.i used frozen corn and 1/2 c skim milk. i also used 3 cooked boneless skinnless chicken breasts, sliced in thirds. the recipe doesn't specify whether or not to precook the chicken, just the beef, but the texture was fine, good family fare. i think it could have used some more spice, we added some at the table.