Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my best friends in high school had emigrated to Canada from Chile and for her birthday every year, her mom made this for all of us! This is from myrecipes.com and the closest I can come... By the way, she always omitted the raisins from mine since I don't like them :)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (8 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- about 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 2⁄3 cup grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 3 cups corn kernels (drained canned, thawed frozen, or fresh cooked)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, combine beef and olive oil; break beef into chunks and stir often until no longer pink in center and liquid evaporates, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover raisins with hot tap water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a bowl. To drippings, add onion and garlic. Stir often on high heat until onion is lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add raisins, olives, paprika, cumin, beef, and 3 tablespoons water; stir over medium heat to mingle flavors, 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into 4 individual casseroles (2- to 2 1/2-cup size). Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Lay equal portions of chicken over beef, and push egg halves into casseroles, making mixture level.
- In a food processor, whirl corn, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and cream until coarsely puréed. Rinse and dry frying pan, then pour corn mixture into pan. Stirring on high heat, bring to bubbling, then reduce heat and, stirring often, simmer until darker yellow and drier, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon corn mixture equally over beef, chicken, and eggs and spread level.
- Set casseroles on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, set on a rack positioned so tops are about 4 inches from broiler, until hot in center, 13 to 16 minutes. Turn heat to broil (heat may not come on right away) and brown crusts, 3 to 4 minutes more after broiler is hot.