Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pasta with summer vegetables
- 1⁄2 lb penne
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 ears corn
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 zucchini, about 2 lb. total, cut into half-moons
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt the water, add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 3 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the corn, season with salt and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is lightly golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and warm the remaining 3 Tbs. olive oil. Working in batches, add the zucchini, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add to the bowl with the corn. Repeat with the remaining zucchini, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, 1 teaspoons salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften and begin to form a sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until the wine has reduced and the sauce is fairly thick, about 3 minutes more.
- Add the pasta, tomato sauce, basil, mozzarella and half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano to the bowl with the vegetables and stir to combine. Transfer to the fry pan and sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano on top. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 8.
- Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
Fabulous! Had fresh zucchini, tomatoes and corn on hand, and browsed for a good recipe. Tried this one, and loved it. Delicious. Definitely a keeper!