This simple supper is a great way to use the last of garden zucchini and tomatoes. Adapted from Bon Appetit (September 2004)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon, thick sliced, cut crosswise into one inch pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups white wine (or 1/2 cup sherry and 1 cup white grape juice or just all white grape juice)
- 1 lb macaroni (rotini or elbow work well)
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese or 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1Cook bacon in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel covered plate to drain. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippngs.
- 2Add onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until soft about 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add wine and bring to a boil, simmer until reduced by 1/3 about 3-5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile cook pasta in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes and then add zucchini and cook for remaining time according to package directions. (about 10 minutes total time) Drain.
- 5Add pasta, zucchini, bacon, tomatoes and oregano to onion in dutch oven. Toss and cook over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until pasta is coated with sauce.
- 6Add cheese, toss, and cook for another few minutes or until cheese melts.
- 7Serve at once or this can be prepared ahead of time and reheated at 350°F until hot (about 30 minutes).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Zucchini, Tomatoes and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.6
- Calories from Fat 557
- Total Fat 61.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.5 mg
- Sodium 1117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 37.0 g