Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
from today's NY Times, this is a great way to use up your garden surplus.
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 small zucchini or 3 -4 medium zucchini, about 1 pound, rinsed and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more)
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb other cut pasta
- 1 cup good ricotta cheese
- 1 cup basil leaves, washed, dried and torn
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when hot add zucchini, along with a large pinch of salt and a sprinkling of pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini begins to brown, then lower heat and cook until it is quite tender, about 15 minutes total. About 5 minutes before it is done, stir in garlic and begin to cook pasta.
- While pasta cooks, warm a serving bowl and put ricotta in it, along with about half the basil. When pasta is tender but not mushy, remove and drain it, reserving about a cup of its cooking liquid.
- Use as much of this liquid as necessary, a bit at a time, to thin ricotta until it reaches a saucy consistency. Toss with pasta, zucchini, remaining basil and Parmesan, if you are using it, then taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.
Very tasty - thanks for sharing! Next time I might add a smidge of gorgonzola just to give it a slightly more complex flavor. Great weeknight meal recipe.
This dish was really easy, pretty healthy and very tasty. I am a picky cook wanting all my ingredients to be fresh and natural. This was a perfect way to eat foods that are fresh and natural as well as tasty. I didn't really change anything except using a little less EVOO and definitely added the parm...YUM!
Just made and ate this for dinner tonight. It was sooooo good and creamy and fresh tasting! I added a little onion and red pepper flakes to the saute. And at the very end added a little shredded roast chicken (just because I happen to have it on hand). I'm doing WW so excluded the olive oil altogether and used a olive oil spray instead. It worked just fine and did not harm the finished taste. I will make this recipe again for sure.