Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was looking for a recipe that was filling and healthy in the same breath and had to use my zucchini & mushrooms before they went bad and decided to throw this all together and prayed it would be good and we enjoyed it.
- 1 large onion, divided in 1/2
- 8 garlic cloves, minced divided in 1/2
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 large zucchini, chopped into circles and then into 4 's
- 8 ounces of sliced portabella mushrooms
- 15 ounces cannellini beans
- 2 ounces pecorino romano grated cheese
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 (28 ounce) cansof tuttorusso crushed tomatoes
- Set up 3 pots: 1 with water for pasta, 1 for zucchini, onion, mushroom & beans & 1 for marinara sauce.
- In two of the three pots set up 2 tbsp of olive oil and saute onion (1/2 & 1/2) until cooked but not brown, add 4 cloves minced garlic to onion in each pot and again cook DO NOT brown. Add crushed tomatoes to 1 pot and basil, cook on a low flame for about a 1/2 hour. In the other pot add zucchini, mushroom and cook until zucchini is soft, add beans and cook for 2 more minutes, remove from heat. Cook pasta according to box.
- Add veggies to top of pasta, add shredded mozzarella, top with marinara sauce and grated cheese.