Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005
- 1⁄4 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage, removed from the casing (crumbled or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon chiffonade fresh basil leaf
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain in a colander and return to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until browned and all pink has disappeared, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the vodka and cook until the sauce reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta to coat evenly and transfer to a pasta bowl for serving. Top with cheese and sprig of basil and serve immediately.