Recipe by madchen-girl
An old family friend -- who is a fabulous cook -- just threw this together one evening, and I've been feasting on it ever since! It's very healthy and easy to make.
- 1 (15 ounce) canof del monte pasta ready tomatoes (or any other brand of stewed tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced white mushroom (canned are also okay)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 lb dry pasta (rotini or penne are best)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta as indicated on package, drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, place zucchini and yellow squash in small cooking pot, add enough water to cover, place pot over high heat, cover pot and steam until squash is tender (approximately 10 minutes), then drain and set aside.
- Coat frying pan with olive oil and place pan over medium heat.
- Add onion to frying pan and saute until translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and garlic salt to onion and saute for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, steamed squash, basil, and oregano and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve tomato mixture over pasta.