Recipe by Terri F.
This dish is light, but the flavors are intense. They explode in your mouth!
Top Review by Bob Crouch
I was really pleased to see this recipe posted because it is a classic. The flavor is incredible, and it gets raves from guests every time I fix it. If you can get really ripe tomatoes right from the vine, you will faint because they make the sauce so good. I have used rosemary instead of basil. This stuff is just too danged good. Pile on the cheese and dig in!
- 4 cups ripe roma tomatoes or 4 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped large
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1 cup grated romano cheese (can use Parmesan)
- 1 lb cooked large pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water for sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, stir together tomatoes, olive oil, crushed peppers, and salt.
- Let this mixture marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- While mixture is marinating, prepare pasta, making sure to reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water from finished pasta.
- Stir reserved (hot) water and basil into tomato mixture.
- Add pasta and toss to coat.
- Add romano cheese and toss again.
- Serve immediately.