Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is light, but the flavors are intense. They explode in your mouth!
- 4 cups ripe roma tomatoes or 4 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped large
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1 cup grated romano cheese (can use Parmesan)
- 1 lb cooked large pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water for sauce
- In large bowl, stir together tomatoes, olive oil, crushed peppers, and salt.
- Let this mixture marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- While mixture is marinating, prepare pasta, making sure to reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water from finished pasta.
- Stir reserved (hot) water and basil into tomato mixture.
- Add pasta and toss to coat.
- Add romano cheese and toss again.
- Serve immediately.
I was really pleased to see this recipe posted because it is a classic. The flavor is incredible, and it gets raves from guests every time I fix it. If you can get really ripe tomatoes right from the vine, you will faint because they make the sauce so good. I have used rosemary instead of basil. This stuff is just too danged good. Pile on the cheese and dig in!
You may or may not need the extra water - my sauce was a little soupish. Bu I could not fault the taste. Nice summer recipe which is quick and easy to prepare.
I make this (minus the red pepper - I'm a sissy) on a regular basis all tomato season long. It's a standard summer meal for me and one which I enjoy much more than cooked sauce.