Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Labaneh is yogurt cheese, a wonderful invention for everything from pasta to sandwich spread. Here it's used over angel hair pasta but it's great over any type, especially tortellini. It takes a minimum of 8 hours to drain the yogurt, transforming it into cheese, but the cheese can be refrigerated for several days. More than once, it has taken 2 days for the yogurt to drain to the desired thickness, so plan accordingly. Minimal time for preparing the yogurt cheese is included in the cook time.
Yogurt Cheese Labaneh
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, optional
- 1⁄2 lb angel hair pasta
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Yogurt Cheese (Labaneh): Line a strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth; place the strainer over a bowl and pour the yogurt into the strainer; set aside at room temperature for at least 8 hours or until very, very thick.
- If using the garlic, push it through a garlic press and stir into the thickened labaneh.
- Pasta: Make sure labaneh is at room temperature; boil the pasta in salted water until al dente; drain and return to the pot, stirring until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add the paprika to the melted butter; toss the butter mixture and yogurt cheese with the pasta; season with salt and pepper.