Recipe by TexasKelly
My mother gave this to me when I got married, because it was one of my favorite dinners that she had made. I like to make it with hot sausage, but regular sausage is fine too. I don't know how big of a package of sausage to use-- she left that part out. I just buy a 1 lb. pkg.
Top Review by mandagirl
made this for supper tonight. It was very good. I was a little confused about the 2-oz. can of tomatoes. I figured it was a mis-print and I used a large can. (I think it was 28 oz.) anyway, we all loved it!
- 1 package hot sausage or 1 package sweet sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 lb pasta (penne, rotelle or fusilli)
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Discard garlic.
- Add onion and cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes with juice, sausage and pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium high heat, until sauce is thickened (about 20 minutes).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and toss with sausage in large bowl.
- Toss with mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serve hot.