1/1 Photo of Pasta With Tomato and Mozzarella
1 hr 45 mins
Simple dish with a classic fresh tomato sauce. You may use low-fat mozzarella and skip parmesan cheese if you are pursuing a low-fat diet, and serve with green salad and crusty bread. The sauce can be made well ahead and can be re-heated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 350 g penne pasta
- 150 g mozzarella cheese, chopped into 2cm cubes
- basil leaves, to garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
For the tomato sauce
- 1First skin the tomatoes - put the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and leave for 1 minute, then drain and slip off their skins.
- 2Reserve 3 tomatoes for later and roughly chop the rest.
- 3Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the onion and garlic and let them gently cook for 5-6 minutes, until they are softened and light golden in colour.
- 4Add the chopped tomatoes with about a third of the basil, torn into pieces and season with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- 5Let the tomatoes simmer on a very low heat, without a lid, for about 1-1½ hours or until the tomatoes are reduced to a thick sauce, stirring now and again.
- 6Roughly chop the reserved tomatoes and stir them in, along with the rest of the torn basil leaves and take it off heat.
- 7Cook the pasta as per the package instructions.
- 8When you are ready to eat, gently re-heat the tomato sauce and stir the cubes of mozzarella into the warm sauce and let it simmer gently for 2-3 minutes only to slightly soften the cheese (just begun to melt).
- 9Serve the sauce spooned over the drained pasta, sprinkled with the parmesan (if using) and add a few basil leaves as garnish.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Tomato and Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (642 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1056.4
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 509.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 173.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.9 g
- Sugars 20.4 g
- Protein 36.0 g