1/1 Photo of Pasta With Swiss Chard Bacon and Lemony Ricotta
This is fantastic! There are so many different flavors going on… Creamy ricotta, tangy lemon, salty bacon… YUMM-O! I found this in Rachael Ray’s 365: No Repeats cookbook when I was looking for a recipe to use up some leftover ricotta. I used arugula instead of the Swiss chard, so use what you have. Omit the bacon (or use a vegetarian one) and use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian. This doesn’t re-heat very well, so only make as much as you need.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb corkscrew macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch swiss chard, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When the water comes to a boil, add salt and cook the pasta al dente.
- 2While the pasta cooks, preheat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and bacon, and cook until the bacon crisps, about 3 minutes.
- 3To the bacon add the garlic, onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onions are lightly caramelized.
- 4Add the chopped Swiss chard, toss to coat, and wilt the chard down.
- 5Turn the heat up to high and add the chicken stock. When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl, combine the ricotta with the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Place ¼ cup of the ricotta mixture in the bottom of 4 bowls. Set aside.
- 7Add the lemon juice to the Swiss chard. Drain the pasta well and toss with the greens for a minute to let the juices absorb into the pasta.
- 8Turn the heat off and add the grated Parmesan cheese and toss to distribute. Serve immediately, dishing it up on top of the ricotta cheese. Stir before eating.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Swiss Chard Bacon and Lemony Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.7
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.9 mg
- Sodium 815.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 36.2 g