Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, elegant, impressive, easy, and very tasty!
- 1 head garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped into large pieces
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- cooked pasta, your favorite (fettucini, shells, etc)
- In a 375 degree oven put a whole head of garlic with the tip cut off.
- After 15 minutes add one large quartered red bell pepper and an half onion chopped into large pieces bake for 15 more minutes.
- After baked, place the head of garlic in a bowl of ice water.
- Put baked pepper and onion into a blender and add about half a cup of heavy cream or half and half (depends on how rich you want it).
- Blend until mixture is creamy.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and gradually flour over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Then add another half cup of heavy cream or half and half to the sauce pan.
- Remove the garlic clove from the ice water and extract the contents of the head into the blender by squishing the clove in your hand (the cloves will mush right out).
- Blend until incorporated into the mixture and it is smooth and creamy.
- Add blender mixture to the sauce pan and cook over med heat stirring with a whisk until thickened.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, along with nice garlicky bread.
- Note: it's important to use a blender with this rather than a food processor to make sure that the pepper is cut up well enough.
This was a delightful change from our regular pasta sauces. Rich and full of flavour and easy to prepare. I'm going to make it again tonight! :)